Sunday, August 30, 2009

"We were never being BORING"-Pet Shop Boys OH YEAH

So yesterday BJ was being unnecessarily chipper. Whistling, singing...moving about. So I said, "BJ could you please stop."(It wasn't a question, but I did say it super nicely) And then I said, "BJ you are always telling me that one of the main reasons you chose me was because I am the only woman who has ever kept your attention. Because I am fascinating. I am always fascinating, and today I need to take a brake and be boring. Can you be boring too? I am really tired." He laughed heckof hard, and stopped whistling.:)

(I laughed too;).

On another note, this weekend I have been thinking about some of the things my Mum has taught me that has become an integral part of who I am.
Here are a few of them.

Sometimes being a responsible, mature adult means doing things you don't want to do. I totally believe that, and I think about it lots during my day. I don't always want to do the laundry, or clean out the sink. I hate yucky chores, but they need to be done. And that is OK. I will survive these things, and the truth is, if I don't make a big deal out of doing them, then they are quickly finished, and IT ISN'T A BIG DEAL AFTER ALL.:)

It is important to be a hard worker.This philosophy has helped me over and over again. It has made me a super valuable employee(It feels really good to know it takes a few people to replace you when you leave a job:). Working hard has also taught me a love for working hard and a job well done. I love that feeling of accomplishment, but there is so much more that you feel. It is hard to put into words unless you have felt it too.

Enjoy the time you have with your children and sweetie. My Mum and Pop went out every weekend that I can remember. And they often went out for the weekend, even if it was just at the local motel 6. I totally have a testimony of the importance of date nights with your spouse and keeping that strong relationship through activities and time together, NOT just watching TV, or things like that. But talking and interacting together. And family time was always a priority as well. We went on lots of family vacations and hikes and outings. My Mum has always taught me to take time to enjoy my sweet babies while they are small, while I still have them at home before they grow up and have their own families. This has been so important to me when things seem overwhelming. When I have the good times I really try to soak them in and enjoy them. It doesn't necessarily make the hard times loads easier, but it BALANCES my life out in a way I NEED.

Be generous and the Lord will always bless you. I remember my Mum remarking lots of times how she believed she found good babysitters to watch her kids because she was a good babysitter as a teenager. I have thought of that lots in my life and really applied it and seen the benefit. It feels good to be generous, and that is blessing enough from Heavenly Father.:) My Mum is very generous with her time and energy. And HER SMILE. She smiles all the time, and I think that is such a beautiful gift to the people who see it. Smiles can lift what words can't. She is a really good friend to everyone. I don't think I know one person who knows my Mum and doesn't love her. I think that is testimony to the kind of person and friend she is.

The last thing I will mention(I have learned too much from my Mum, it would take to long to tell you all the things!)is something my Mum has said to me millions of times, and I think about it, and it buoys me up every time..."Clair, you aren't going to starve." :)I am NOT a good poor person. I starve HORRIBLY. One time in our marriage BJ and I pretty much were starving, and I found that I become QUITE stingy with food when there is hardly any in the home. But my Mum is right, I will never starve because she will make sure we at least have some food. This has taught me a few things. First, that it is important to look out for each other and take care of each other. To be generous and to have that compassion for each other, as the Savior has compassion for us. Also, it has taught me that it is good to have faith that things will be alright. There is a long time in eternity. Keep perspective. You CAN get through ANYTHING.

My Mum is amazing. She is one of the MOST beautiful people I know. I hope my life exemplifies what she has taught me.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Hope you sent a copy of this to your mum. Or send it to her at Christmas! :)